Friday 11 April 2014

Hi ho. Hi no. It's back to work I go.

Being back at work feels like playtime. It certainly doesn't feel like my real job anymore.

Famous last words. Ask me again in a month.

What was particularly interesting was in the week I go back the Australian Human Rights Commission released a study of 2000 women and their workplace experiences during pregnancy and later returning to work.

It found one in two women report experiencing discrimination in the workplace during their pregnancy, after requesting or while on parental leave, or upon returning to work. As a result of this, a shocking 84% of these women experienced negative impacts on their mental health, physical health, families, finances, career and job opportunities.

I've seen this first hand. I have three friends who have returned to work since having their bubs last year. Of this three, two of them have posted Facebook statuses with tales of unfairness in the workplace. I'm sure there are others more feeling this way but don't feel comfortable enough sharing their feelings with others.

In a sweet move one of my colleagues sent me an article about the report saying 'if there is anything I can do to make sure you don't feel this way, please let me know.' It got me thinking, how was my return to work? I can tell you now it certainly wasn't perfect and a more sensitive person may have been offended.

So here are my tips for what ovoid be good steps to welcoming someone back from leave (whether it is maternity, paternity, sick or long service leave):

1: Get the desk and IT ready

Honestly, this is so simple but often over looked. How often have you started a job and they haven't had a desk ready for you? I started this week in the corner desk that is typically the dumping ground for things we don't know where to put. It was covered in a thick layer of dust. It didn't have any stationary. I spent my first hour and half throwing things out, dusting and getting the desk sorted. If this, and only this, was done it would instantly make me feel welcome. We're all busy, but it doesn't take long to do and makes a huge good impression.

Bringing my family to the office
2: Do something special
Welcome the person back with a team coffee / morning tea / little gift. It'll reintroduce them to the team and give them a chance to talk about the little person that has changed their life.

3: Let them leave a little earlier
On their first day back, let them leave earlier. It may be the first time they've been away from their bub, so help them transition.

4: Keep your opinions to yourself
This is a life lesson anyway, but sometimes keep your opinions to yourself. You don't know they're situation and also, what made you an expert.

5: Priorities may have changed, but the ability to work hasn't
They haven't forgotten their job in the time off. They can still work just as good and maybe even better. Don't moddle-coddle the person. You don't have to ease them back in. If they're willing to jump in, embrace that. In the same vein, listen if they need that easier transition. The person returnin knows their limits better than anyone.

But just as employers and colleagues should do some nice things to welcome people back, us returning people should be mindful to:

1: Your bub is only interesting to you
Yes they're adorable. Yes they're funny. While they have dominated your life for the past year, they're not interesting to others. Remember how you weren't interested in babies until you had your own. That's how they feel. Reign it in.

2: Be upfront, but polite
If someone has offended you, don't fester. Tell someone. Politely. Remember you don't know their circumstances or background.

3: Don't take the piss
We have to accept we're under more scrutiny than others. Yes there are limits to how much we should be scrutinised, but don't take the piss. Avoid long lunches, long coffee breaks or anything that may question how much work I setting done. You would dislike having to pull others weight, so be considerate.

These aren't going to solve the world of discrimination but it might get things off to a good start.

So far so good for me. Let's see how the next three months go.

My arrangement allows me to work from home some days. Not a bad little office.

No comments:

Post a Comment