Tuesday 4 March 2014

Made with Love (Post-Apocalyptic) Apple Pie

In a post-apocalyptic world, I wouldn't survive.

I think often about what skill I'd offer the hardened band of survivors living off the land.

I'm not a genius to find an alternative energy source, or way to purify water. I can't kill a bug, let alone dinner, so what would good would I be against zombies, aliens or fellow man? I'm not the hot one, the funny one or the weird one. I have no medical knowledge, no survival skills, no building skills, but I could communicate the shit out of the rallying groups and throw a really nice party after.

With this in mind, I know I can cook, but I need to learn to do it without store-brought cheats. Feeling a little House on the Prairie I mucked in to make an apple pie, completely from scratch, with love, just to see if I could learn a survival skill. You always need a good dessert after a hard day of fighting zombies.

Apple pie, made from scratch
First failure in my post-apocalyptic apple pie is I had to visit the ever trusty Taste website to find a tasty, and easy, apple pie recipe. But it was so easy I think I can remember it... maybe.


Apple pie progress

Secondly fail... processed flour. But I'm sure I could make do with ground up tree bark, if I needed to.

Actually, the whole thing was so easy, I don't know what I don't make more pastry from scratch. Oh yeah. The mess and time. It was easy though, and came out soft and crumbly.

With our dollop of ice-cream (I'm going to eat all the ice-cream I can now before the electricity goes forever) it was better than the store apple pies. Probably because it was made with love.

And probably because having completed 71 of my 101 in 1001, I feel I now have one skill to offer the rebel leaders as they decide who lives on the island and who doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment